The biggest problem in car maintenance: A lack of car knowledge
Car servicing is difficult. Prices are not readily available and most car owners rely on friends and family for word-of-mouth recommendations.
At Steer, we believe in making car maintenance simpler and more transparent, so we spoke to as many car owners as we possibly could to learn more from them.
Surprisingly, from our conversations, we found that one of the most common pain points faced by car owners is that they tend to know very little about car maintenance. This knowledge gap often results in unhappiness, as it creates mistrust between car owners and car workshops.
It is normal to not know your car
Cars are complex machines which will only become more complex as higher tech cars come to market.
The number of car makes and models are overwhelming. There are close to 80 car makes1 in Singapore, with multiple car models across each make. To make things worse, each model has a year of production which could determine the car parts used.
As a result, it can be challenging to know what to do when car issues arise. When that happens, we found that car owners tend to turn to the “car expert” in their social circle.
This is usually someone with many years of driving experience and has more car knowledge than the average car owner. Unfortunately, not everyone knows a “car expert”. This is where Ask Steer comes in.
Ask Steer: Your personal car maintenance advisor
Ask Steer is your personal car advisor which provides you with independent advice for free.
How does it work? When you ask a question at our Ask Steer page, we send your question to over 100 expert mechanics on our platform. The best answers will be sent straight to your inbox and mobile phone.
Here is why you should use Ask Steer for all your car needs:
1) Completely free. Similar to booking via Steer, you don’t have to pay a single cent. In fact, you could potentially save some money by comparing quotes to find cheaper options.
2) Save time. We are able to access a large network of workshops in a very short amount of time. This is way more efficient than contacting one workshop at a time to get the same information.
3) Better advice. The quality of advice you receive is much higher as we are able to cross-check multiple sources to determine the best advice.
4) Trustworthy answers. Ask Steer is completely independent. The platform simply facilitates the transfer of knowledge between car owners and car workshops. Every time a question is answered, we will also post the answer to the platform so other car owners can benefit from that knowledge.
Servicing cars may not be the most exciting activity but we are excited to make the process a lot simpler for you.
Book with Steer today to get exclusive discounts off your car servicing on top of a 5% cashback.
Commonly asked questions
Ask Steer has already helped many users with their car issues. Here are some of the most common ones we have encountered:
1) Pricing or quotations. Some car repairs can cost several hundred dollars or even thousands of dollars. Ask Steer gets car owners the best quotes from multiple workshops, saving them time searching and asking one workshop at a time.
2) Workshop recommendations. Ask Steer finds you workshops that are tailored to your needs. Some car owners prefer to send their car to workshops with more experience with their car make and model. Price and location could also be concerns. Some car workshops even offer pick-up or drop-off services. Ask Steer can help you select a workshop from over 1,000 workshops in Singapore.
3) Locating a specific car part. According to Toyota, a single car has about 30,000 car parts – a huge number! If you need a specific car part, chances are your car workshop will have to source for it. Ask Steer can increase your odds of finding it using our large network of partner workshops.
1 According to the Land Transport Authority.